Soldier’s Sell Nigeria’s Weapons to Islamic Terrorists, Melaye says Kemi Adeosun Must Go, Osun People to Buhari – we have reached the end of the road. 7 News Stories, 7 Headlines

Hello Nigeria, am back again with more news and headlines from local and international news sources. This Breaking.com.ng where we don’t do any other thing but look for the latest info all day long. It is September 5 2016.  What is happening in Nigeria? I bring to you headlines of the moment.

 

Nigerian Soldiers sell Nigeria’s weapons to Islamic terrorists, Kidnapping taken to the next level, and more stories of Insecurity today

Can you believe that Nigerian military hardware is sold to terrorists? And not during Jonathan administration but right in 2016?
A new report suggests that the Boko Haram Takfiri terrorist group is receiving some of its arms and ammunition from corrupt army officers in Nigeria.
The report published on Sunday by the Associated Press revealed that several top-ranking military commanders were being secretly investigated in Nigeria for offenses related to the fight against Boko Haram, including the theft and sale of ammunition.
Military authorities confirmed on Thursday that some soldiers were selling arms and ammunition to Boko Haram, calling it a betrayal of the Nigerian people. Major General Lucky Irabor, the theater commander in northeastern Nigeria, would not provide more details during his briefing.
The AP report quoted a soldier on the frontline of the fight as saying that his brigade commander is among officers standing trial in a northeastern city. He said the investigation is concentrated on the fate of 21 anti-aircraft guns assigned this year to the artillery brigade of the commander in question. The unnamed soldier added that the brigade only received one gun.
The military said three weeks ago that 16 officers and troops had been charged in the case by a military tribunal.
Other reports have suggested that the military is also investigating a group of retired and current officers for misappropriating hundreds of millions of dollars, which was assigned to the army for the fight against Boko Haram. Alex Badeh, a four-star general and Nigeria’s former chief of defense staff, is one of the main suspects. According to witness accounts, Badeh, who was sacked last year, built a shopping mall in the capital, Abuja, after reportedly stealing the equivalent of $24m budgeted for salaries in 2013.
The current chief of army staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, is also under pressure as civil society groups are demanding an investigation into his procurement of two properties worth $1.5 million in Dubai.
More than 20,000 people have been killed since a militancy began seven years ago by Boko Haram, a terrorist group which is mostly based in northern Nigeria and neighboring countries. The militants have pledged allegiance to Daesh, a group mainly based in the Middle East.
Many Nigerian soldiers ran away during a blitz by Boko Haram in 2014, allowing the group to seize control of a large swath of land northeast of the country. The soldiers said that the militants were better armed and equipped during the battle and that their high-ranking officers stole parts of their salaries and allowances.
Under Buhari, a former military dictator, a multinational force has retaken most towns but Boko Haram remains active outside urban areas, carrying out hit-and-run attacks, suicide bombings and abductions of women and girls.

In another news,
Towards the end of last week, Boko Haram attacked Niger Republic and fled back to Nigeria!
Five villagers were killed and two others wounded in a Boko Haram attack in eastern Niger, the first in three months carried out there by the jihadist group, a local governor said Saturday.
Governor of the Diffa border region, Dan Dano Mahaman Laouali, told Niger public radio the attack took place on Friday in Toumour.
It is the first attack in the east since early June when Boko Haram launched a major offensive in Bosso, a town in Niger near the border with Nigeria and Chad, before being pushed back by the military.
The attackers on Friday, who battled with locals armed with bows and arrows, also burned several homes before fleeing toward Nigeria after the violence.
Tens of thousands of Nigeriens fled the region after the Boko Haram attack in Bosso on June 23, which killed 26 soldiers.

Back up in Nigeria, Boko Haram terrorists schemes to join army, the Department of State Security said.

 

Kidnapping now taken to the next level

AS security agencies continue to clamp down on kidnappers across the country, the criminals are now baiting their prey out of their comfort zones to places where the victims’ parents, relations or guardian are contacted for ransom.
It was gathered from kidnappers arrested by various police commands across the country in recenttimes that most of the criminals cash in on the innocence and friendliness of children to kidnap them, especially when their parents leave them to play around in the neighbourhood.
Security analysts point out that one of the most disturbing tricks found to have been fully exploited by the criminal gangs include asking for assistance, such as asking directions, or, using pets to lure them.
While some resort to using freebies such as biscuit to lure them, it was also gathered that some were hypnotised before being kidnapped.
A taxi driver was recently robbed and kidnapped by a woman who had pretended to be pregnant. The driver, out of sympathy, assisted to help her only to have ended up kidnapped for ransom.
A kidnapped victim who spoke with the National Daily anonymously revealed how kidnappers hit his car from behind just as he was trying to navigate into his estate at Isheri early this year.
“When the car hit me from behind, I came down to see the damage and realised that it was not too much. They also came down to beg.
“Just as I moved into my car, other occupants of their car rushed at me and bundled me out into their car, and zoomed off.
“That was how I started the journey into the den of kidnappers until my elder brother paid three million Naira before I was released after one week,” he said.
Investigation also revealed that kidnapers target single woman drivers, whom they hit behind their cars to lure them to stop before abducting them.
Apart from the criminals getting used to the nooks and crannies of where they want to kidnap victim, it was also revealed that one tactic they employ nowadays is trying to be nice to people.
In the process of such relationship, they swoop on him after they might have given sufficient information to their criminal gang.
According to the victim, kidnappers also work on the psychology of people, especially young children. They learn every trick to deceive children that their parents mandated them to take the child to them.
That was one of the tricks used to abduct a child at the Methodist Baptist Church at Surulere in 2015, before they abandoned her in another church in Abeokuta.
Police investigations also revealed that kidnappers and ritualists use innocent children to get to their victims. It was further gathered that they use a child who will be crying with an address in his hand asking for direction. The moment any good Samaritan assist to locate the address, such person would be kidnapped.
Mrs Elisha told National Daily how she was kidnapped while in a taxi from the hospital to her house at Lekki and relived of everything she had on her.
They now use unpainted Lagos Taxi colour for transportation, plying busy routes without people suspecting them. Once they grab a victim, they divert their route while holding their victim incommunicado until they establish contact with relatives who pay some money to them before releasing the victim.

That was from the National Daily.
Imagine you headed for the hospital and getting kidnapped in the process. That is definitely traumatic!
But for those who think kidnapping is the easier crime to ‘hitting millions’, better you think again. The market hasn’t been good for kidnappers, and every week the security operatives pickup kidnappers.
For example, the kidnapper involved in the kidnap of 3 Australians is now in police cuffs.

 

 

Nigeria fail to qualify for Africa Cup of Nations AGAIN while Guinea-Bissau get set for debut

The 2017 Africa Cup of Nations line-up has been confirmed as Nigeria failed to qualify for successive tournaments while Guinea-Bissau will make their debut.
Drawn in the same group as Egypt, the Super Eagles finished as runners-up, but weren’t eligible for a best second-place team due to Chad’s withdrawal earlier in qualifying.
Meanwhile, Uganda secured their place in the tournament for the first time since 1978, sparking wild celebrations at the final whistle.

 

 

Nigerians have reached breaking point as told the Sun Newspapers by Osun State indigenes where President Buhari was hosted last week.

Recession: We’re stretched beyond limit, Osun people tell Buhari
Osun indigenes have passed a verdict on President Muhammadu Buhari’s usual plea to Nigerians to endure the current hardship as well as his recent declaration that his administration’s change mantra could not be achieved on a bed of roses, but required perseverance and steadfastness.
The state indigenes, who reacted to the president’s call on the citizenry to continue to bear the pains, pending when his administration would bring about the change, took a swipe at his stance, with several of them lamenting that their patience had been stretched beyond the limit.
They urged President Buhari to go the whole hog and take proactive measures by initiating people-oriented economic policies to ameliorate the current hardship in the country.
Market women, artisans, clerics and civil servants, who spoke to Daily Sun in Osogbo, lamented that the current inflation that had resulted in outrageous rise in prices of commodities, accommodation, transport and fuel left much to be desired.
They lamented that the hardship had become unbearable and asked the Federal Government to find a solution to the quagmire and improve the living conditions of the masses.
A cloths seller, Mrs Paulina Jacobs, who noted that Nigerians were tired of the Federal Government’s complaints, said people were expecting positive actions that could bring about change rather than mere promises.
“For how long are we going to be given excuses? If the price of crude oil has gone down, is there no other way out? Government has to look beyond oil and find another way out of this suffering. Anywhere you go there is lamentation of hunger. Is that how we are going to continue?” she asked rhetorically.
Mrs Balikis Adeniyi who sells sewing materials, while condemning Buhari’s administration, urged the president to urgently implement the Federal Government’s policies and save the economy from the brink of collapse.
She lamented that she had been experiencing low patronage due to abject poverty in the land.
A bread seller, Mrs Nike Arigbede, who also lamented that the price of bread had skyrocketed due to hike in the prices of baking materials, also called on the president to find solution to the scarcity, noting that bread was one of the staple foods of the people.
Mrs Sidikat Abidogun, the leader of Market Women Association at Oroki Market, Alekuwodo, Osogbo, said: “We are unable to buy or sell our products because there is little or no money in circulation.”
She, however, commended Buhari’s goodwill and expressed optimism that Nigeria would be better again.

 

 

The early completion of Abuja light rail project is under threat as unknown persons have started stealing the communication cable laid on the rail line.

The Abuja light rail project is at jeopardy as unknown persons have started stealing the communication cable laid on the rail line.
Residents looking forward to having a functional railway line as alternative means of transportation within the city next year, may have to wait longer.
The Light Rail System project expected to provide alternative means of transport is at the mercy of vandals.
According to Channels Television, unknown persons are digging up and carting away communication cables buried along the rail tracks.
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr Musa Bello, confirmed the cable theft on Saturday.
He said: “Cables are being vandalised. Two weeks ago, vandals dug out cables and cut them off.’’
The cables, which have already been replaced, are to serve as tools for communication across the trains and various stations.
“The protection of the facilities is a responsibility of everyone.
The government could not do alone, he said.
“We have deployed members of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) along the tracks and in the city, ‘’ he said.
He said that the people should also have to be conscious to ensure that infrastructure put in place were not vandalised.
The Abuja light rail project would be completed by December 31, 2017, he said.
The road project which stretched from the airport to barracks would be completed soon, he said.
The minister promised that the government would upgrade the slums in Abuja through urban renewal programme and not to demolish them.

 

Here are some other headlines:

Obasanjo okays Buhari to seek re-election in 2019
DSS foils Boko Haram members attempt to join Nigerian army
Abia: PDP aspirant, Nwosu heads to Supreme Court

 

Melaye seeks the sack Finance Minister, Minister Of Budget, Udoma and CBN Governor.

Senator Dino Melaye (APC Kogi West) on Sunday called on President Muhammadu Buhari to take drastic measures on the ailing economic, including the immediate removal of the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun; Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udo Udoma; and the Governor of the Central bank of Nigeria, Mr Godwin Emefiele as the solution-precedent to reboot the ailing economy. In a statement in Abuja, Melaye said the President must shake up his cabinet, and accused some members of cabinet as lacking the capacity to deliver on the mandates of their ministries and agencies.

 

Allow God direct you in choosing my successor – Oshiomhole begs Edo residents.

Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State, on Sunday admonished residents of the state to invite God to help them in choosing the right candidate to succeed him. Oshiomhole gave the admonition at the Jesus Deliverance Ministry, Benin, where he went on a thank-you visit for the church’s support and prayers to his administration, reported the Daily Post.
But Were God to be involved, do you think God will choose any of the contestants or even Oshiomole himself to be a leader of the millions of people in Edo State? Frankly, I don’t know the answer.

 

And more news

Mother Teresa has been declared a saint by Pope Francis
Stella Oduah’s Husband Suspects there’s more to his Son’s death
I never warned Buhari against seeking re-election in 2019, Nigerians have the right to vote him or not – Obasanjo has said
Federal Government says US Congressman’s letter to Kerry out of tune with realityAkwa Ibom Government rewards Super Eagles with Ten Million Naira after Tanzania win

 
These are just some of the news and reports over the last twenty four hours.
Stay with Breaking.com.ng and you will get fresh news first.
One page, 100 headlines, and a news monitor that shows you key events and happenings in Nigeria at a glance. Go to breaking.com.ng and you will know more than your colleagues in a jiffy.
We will be coming by again with more headlines and news mashes, in the meantime, happy news reading.