Between 1892 and 1954, immigrants arriving on the shores of the United States passed below the towering face of Lady Liberty before docking at Ellis Island.
NINE MORE NEWS ITEMS IN BRIEF
- Yadua Island Journal: On a Fijian Island, Hunters Become…A moratorium on harvesting turtles and a World Wildlife Fund program have helped replenish Fiji’s turtle population after decades of decline.
- The Age of Great Expectations and the Great Void: History…Following Germany's reunification, a couple reads grave markers of East Germans who died in an effort to escape over the Berlin Wall to the West in a photo taken on…
- PNG minister defends Manus Island police accused of…Ron Knight says officers were attacked first when they tried arresting two men for being drunk and ‘the reality of keeping peace’ means ‘they have to be brutal’ A Papua…
- Suspected irukandji sting at Fraser Island the ninth in six…Nineteen-year-old snorkeller is treated by paramedics before being airlifted to hospital in Bundaberg A snorkeller is in hospital after the ninth suspected irukandji jellyfish sting at Queensland’s Fraser Island in…
- Round-the-clock manhunt on for Army reservist who escaped…A round-the-clock state and federal manhunt was underway Monday for an inmate who escaped from a Rhode Island detention center.
- Russia Deploys Air-Route Radar Complex Sopka-2 on Wrangel…Russian deployed new air-route radar complex Sopka-2 on the Wrangel Island, spokesman of the Russian Eastern Military District (EMD) Alexander Gordeev said Wednesday.
- Volcano in Alaska island chain erupts again _ brieflyOfficials say a volcano on a remote island in Alaska's Aleutian chain has erupted again — briefly.
- A look at Trump's notable big-city win in Long IslandBreakfast with 'Friends' in Suffolk County, N.Y.
- Marine faces hearing in Parris Island hazing probeA Marine Corps staff sergeant accused of cruelty and mistreatment following an investigation of hazing at the Parris Island training center is facing a preliminary hearing.