A vast wildfire near the Georgia-Florida state line has sputtered and stalled for days, giving firefighters their best chance yet to stop the flames from advancing near the southern edge of the Okefenokee Swamp.
NINE MORE NEWS ITEMS IN BRIEF
- Georgia inferno: Fair skies mixed in blessing in efforts to… Despite soaring temperatures and dry conditions, firefighters continue to battle flames in and near the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge.
- Number of zero-hours contracts stalls at… ONS statistics suggest faltering popularity in UK, but campaigners warn of rise of short-hours contracts for workersGrowth in zero-hours contracts has stalled in the UK, according to the latest official…
- Flood warnings for Queensland and western NSW as rain band… Some areas will get several months’ worth of rain in a couple of days at the weekend, forecasters warnA heavy east coast rain band could bring months’ worth of rain…
- Georgia Interstate Bridge Closed After Fire to Re-Open Ahead Good news for Atlantans: the I-85 bridge that burst into flames less than two months ago will be reopening to traffic a full month ahead of schedule.
- Georgia woman makes defiant vow after nine American flags… "They're not going to crush my spirit."
- Alan Jackson selling country estate in Georgia for $6.4… The "Chattachoochee" singer is trying to unload his lakefront property in northern Georgia.
- Georgia teacher caught sleeping as students brawl A Georgia mother is seeking answers after her middle school son was allegedly choked by another student while a substitute teacher snoozed during class – a nap that was caught…
- I-85 collapse: Bridge to open next week, Georgia governor… Interstate 85 will reopen next Monday, May 15, or possibly sooner, according to Georgia Governor Nathan Deal.
- Georgia couple adopts 7 siblings who spent years in foster… A Georgia couple officially turned their family of three to 10 on Tuesday when they adopted seven siblings who spent 1,359 days in foster care.