The President of Mexico, President Enrique Pena Nieto on Wednesday dismissed criticism that his meeting with Donald Trump, United States Republican presidential candidate, was a mistake.
President Pena Nieto, in defending his actions of proceeding to invite the US presidential candidate, maintained that he intends to confront Trump over his views.
The President during an interview on Wednesday night said: “I am convinced that we must confront the problems, threats and risks facing Mexico.”
He noted that although he doesn’t consider Trump himself a threat, some of the Republican nominee’s proposals are, including his promise to deport millions of Mexican immigrants illegally living in the United States, cancel the NAFTA free-trade agreement and build a wall on the US-Mexican border.
His remarks came after the billionaire real estate tycoon delivered a fiery anti-immigration speech in Arizona Wednesday following his visit to Mexico earlier in the day, when he had struck a more measured tone.
Trump repeated his central campaign promise to make Mexico pay for a wall on the border.
“Yes, we addressed the issue of the wall (at the meeting), I was very clear and emphatic that Mexico would not pay for such a wall,” Pena Neto said.
“I was clear in pointing out that each government has the right to do whatever it wants and pleases on its side of the border,” as long as it is acting within the limits of the law, he added.
Trump had earlier denied the two discussed who would foot the bill for a wall.
The post Anti-immigration threat: Mexico insists on inviting Trump appeared first on The Nation Nigeria.