Copy of Africa’s richest king comes to Nigeria ◉ Abba Kyari was ‘rushed to London’ ◉ Nigeria’s humanitarian crisis can no longer be ignored – UN ◉ Boko Haram fear ‘hits’ Kano. Aftermath of Islamists war in Nigeria – UN Launches $1b appeal ◉ Sad deaths – how years of hardwork, and potentials for great future ended at NYSC camp ◉ Don’t make Auchi a ‘randytechnic’! NBTE sends 12 randy lecturers home. Demotes 16

Hello Nigeria, this is Breaking Radio.

From the headlines and news of major local and international news sources, Breaking presents the Breaking Radio from Lagos; Nigeria’s mega city. I have got news from Thisday, Daily Post, Daily Independent, The Punch, Nigerian Guardian, Vanguard, Nigerian Pilot, Premium Times, Sun Newspaper, PM News, Leadership newspaper, The Herald, The Nation, Royal Times, Sahara Reporters, News Agency of Nigeria and more. You can head over to on your mobile phone for direct links to news on one page.

I bring you the headlines



  • Nigeria’s humanitarian crisis ‘can no longer be ignored – UN

  • Boko Haram goes to Kano

  • Aftermath of Islamists war in Nigeria: UN Launches $1b appeal

  • Sad deaths. How years of hardwork, and potentials for great future ended at NYSC camp.

  • Don’t make Auchi a ‘randytechnic’! NBTE sends 12 randy lecturers home. Demotes 16.

  • Why Buhari’s CoS Abba Kyari was ‘rushed to London’ for treatment

  • Africa’s richest king comes to Nigeria

African bourses urged to increase products to stem outflows

African exchanges should seek the elimination of capital gains tax on their securities and roll out new products like derivatives in the face of decreased interest from foreign investors, market participants said.
Global funds, who sought African assets in the years up to 2015, have been cutting their holdings, due to the commodity price crash last year and the anticipated interest rates increase in the US.
Adding to the challenge, economic growth in Africa is projected to be the slowest in two decades this year, reflected in bourses like Nigeria, where daily volumes have shrunk by two thirds to $10 million, as foreign investors quit, put off by the slowdown and capital controls.
Karim Haji, CEO of the Casablanca Stock Exchange, said other economies should learn from that.
“I don’t think governments should impose capital controls or things like that because that doesn’t work,” he said, adding that incentives like removal of capital gains tax would help.
Morocco, which does not levy a capital gains tax on stock investments, is enjoying a 20 percent rally this year, bucking the trend among others on the continent where prices are down.
Executives of stock markets and brokerages gathered at a meeting of the African Securities Exchange’s Association (ASEA) in Rwanda this week said introduction of additional investment products would help curb outflows.
“Our markets are really crying out for product development. We have been playing vanilla for too long,” said Kenneth Minjire, head of securities at Nairobi-based Genghis Capital.
African bourses rely too heavily on stocks and bonds and investors usually say they are small and illiquid.
The introduction of derivatives like stocks and currency futures will help to boost liquidity and attract new investors, Minjire said.
Only South Africa’s JSE offers derivatives like commodity contracts on the continent.
Kenya’s Nairobi Securities Exchange, has been testing its derivatives trading platform, whose launch has been postponed several times, but it is now expected next year.
“We are looking at the derivatives market coming into life and we are looking at new products,” Geoffrey Odundo, CEO of the NSE, said, adding the bourse wanted to offer currency futures and exchange traded funds.
Oscar Onyema, CEO of the Nigeria Stock Exchange, whose bourse was hammered due to exchange controls earlier this year, said governments needed to make it easier for global funds to gain access to trading including allowing investors to lend and borrow securities.
“African capital markets need to work with the government to make sure the ease of doing business, the environment is highly de-risked such that it is attractive for global flows to come here,” he said.
Other executives said there is no substitute for strengthening African economies.
“There is a need for African countries to introduce new sectors of activity, diversify the economy, and make those economies more resilient to short term fluctuations,” said Sunil Benimadhu, the CEO of the Stock Exchange of Mauritius.

Oil stages biggest weekly rally since 2009

Oil prices steadied above $51 a barrel on Friday, with Brent crude on track for its biggest weekly rally since 2009, following OPEC’s decision to cut crude output in order to rein in a global glut.
After the deal was announced on Wednesday, the market’s focus now shifts to the implementation and impact of OPEC’s first production agreement since 2008, which will be joined by non-OPEC producers.
Crude prices on Friday were pressured by data showing oil output in Russia rose in November to a post-Soviet high and news that Moscow would use its record November oil production as its baseline when it cuts output.
Front-month Brent crude futures rose 24 cents to $54.18 a barrel, a 0.4 percent gain, by 1514 GMT. The contract was up nearly 15 percent for the week, its biggest gain since early 2009.
US crude rose 26 cents to $51.32 per barrel and was on track for its biggest weekly gain since August 2015.
Traders said profit-taking ahead of the weekend kept a lid on any more significant price gains.
A weak dollar, however, helped offset some of that pressure. The greenback slipped against a basket of currencies after the US November jobs report.
OPEC, which accounts for a third of global oil supply, will reduce production starting in January by 1.2 million barrels per day, or over 3 percent, to 32.5 million bpd.
Russia also agreed to cut output by 300,000 bpd. Russia and other non-OPEC producer are set to meet with OPEC on Dec. 9.
“There are still several open questions regarding compliance and the role of so-called ‘key non-OPEC countries’ in deepening the OPEC cut by a further 600,000 barrels per day (bpd),” JBC Energy said in a note.
In addition to Russia, traders also pointed to Iran as being a wild card.
US President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team is examining proposals for new non-nuclear sanctions on Iran, the Financial Times reported on Friday.
Iran also threatened on Friday to retaliate against the US Senate’s vote to extend the Iran Sanctions Act (ISA) for 10 years, saying it violated last year’s deal with six major powers that curbed its nuclear program.
The sanctions were first adopted in 1996 to punish investments in Iran’s energy industry and deter its pursuit of nuclear weapons.
With cuts being implemented next year only against end-2016 levels, analysts said there was still a possibility that oversupply, which has halved oil prices since 2014, remains a factor next year.
“Let us put OPEC’s decision into perspective — oil has just risen above $50 per barrel. Five months ago it was at similar levels, as indeed it was one month ago,” analysts at AB Bernstein said on Friday.
“More important is the sentiment — does this mean oil will now rise sustainably above $60 and start its long-awaited rebalancing? It is possible, but far from certain,” the analysts added.

Nigeria court orders immediate release of Zakzaky, Press TV, Abuja

A Nigerian court has ordered the release of Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky, the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria.

St. Robert Woman Sentenced For Nigerian Fraud Scheme, Cheated Thousands Of Victims
Public Now

Tammy Dickinson, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a St. Robert woman was sentenced in federal court today for leading a Nigerian fraud scheme in which thousands of victims across the country were tricked into cashing up to $3m in counterfeit money orders and cashier’s checks.
Lisa Kaye Barwick-Majeski, 56, of St. Robert, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Roseann Ketchmark to 12 years in federal prison without parole. The court also ordered Barwick-Majeski to pay $49,131 in restitution to her victims and a money judgment to the government of $1,485,301, representing the proceeds of the conspiracy. Barwick-Majeski was taken into custody immediately at the conclusion of today’s hearing to begin serving her sentence.
On March 10, 2015, Barwick-Majeski pleaded guilty to participating in a conspiracy to commit wire fraud. Barwick-Majeski admitted that she was the primary leader of a conspiracy that involved counterfeit postal money orders, counterfeit bank cashier’s checks and numerous wires to unindicted co-conspirators in the country of Nigeria.
Barwick-Majeski and her co-conspirators dispatched counterfeit postal money orders and bogus cashier checks to thousands of victims throughout the United States. These false money orders and cashier checks were deposited in victims’ bank accounts after the victims were duped into believing they were paid participants as part of a ‘secret shopper’ exercise designed for them to evaluate Wal-Mart and various money wire outlets. The victims were instructed to keep approximately $200 or more of the less than $2,000 counterfeited postal money order or bogus cashier’s check, and immediately wire the remaining money to Barwick-Majeski and her co-conspirators. After a few days, the counterfeited money order or bogus cashier’s check would be returned against the victims’ account as not negotiable. The victims would then be obligated to pay their banks or their financial institutions for most of the money they wired to Barwick-Majeski and others.
Barwick-Majeski and her co-conspirators shared most of their proceeds with a group of Nigerians that were responsible for supplying Barwick-Majeski with fraudulent postal money orders and cashier’s checks.
During the course of the investigation, according to court documents, law enforcement officers seized more than $1.7 million worth of counterfeit postal money orders. Some of those counterfeit money orders were taken directly from Barwick-Majeski and some were seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection or intercepted en route to Barwick-Majeski.
In addition to the counterfeit postal money orders, law enforcement officers executed a search warrant at Barwick-Majeski’s residence on Nov. 5, 2013, and seized a parcel that contained 354 counterfeit BMO-Harris Bank cashier’s checks with a total face value of more than $1 million. According to court documents, law enforcement officers also seized $406,800 in counterfeit Mid Missouri Credit Union cashier’s checks during the investigation.
Co-defendants Nancy Madelen Peebles, 76 (Barwick-Majeski’s mother), Cheryl Barber, 42, and Terry L. Shupe, 40, (who lived together), and Kenneth Fred Ruhl, 88, all of St. Robert, have also pleaded guilty to their roles in the conspiracy and been sentenced. Peebles was sentenced to one year and one day in federal prison; Barber was sentenced to time served; Ruhl and Shupe were each sentenced to five years of probation. Peebles was ordered to pay $28,571 in restitution. Barber was ordered to pay $25,129 in restitution. Ruhl was ordered to pay $16,814 in restitution. Shupe was ordered to pay $2,796 in restitution.
This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Abram McGull, II. It was investigated by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the St. Robert, Mo., Police Department.

In a similar story,

Houston Couple Pleads Guilty In The Midst Of Stolen Identity Tax Fraud Trial

A 31-year-old legal permanent resident from Nigeria and his 30-year-old Houston girlfriend have entered guilty pleas in a stolen identity tax fraud scheme after four days of trial and hearing the testimony of 21 witnesses, announced U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson.
Tom Emasealu pleaded guilty yesterday to all charges contained in the indictment – conspiracy, possession of at least 15 unauthorized access devices, access device fraud, wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. This morning, his co-defendant and girlfriend, Krystal Prophet, pleaded guilty to conspiracy, access device fraud, wire fraud and aggravated identity theft.
According to witness testimony and the evidence admitted during trial, the conspiracy began in January 2014 and continued through May 2015. Emasealu and Prophet conspired and worked together to obtain the identities of approximately 50,000 victims located nationwide which they used to apply for debit and credit cards with various banking institutions.
The evidence showed that Emasealu and Prophet applied for and obtained approximately 230 debit cards using identities of other individuals. These identities were then used to apply for fraudulent tax refunds. The monies were deposited onto the debit cards that were previously created using victim identities.
In total, the defendants attempted to obtain approximately $1.9 million in fraudulent tax refunds. The IRS was able to stop the majority of the transactions, but Emasealu and Prophet still managed to obtain approximately $250,000 in a four-month period.
The conspiracy conviction carries up to five years imprisonment, while the possession of 15 or more unauthorized access devices and trafficking in unauthorized access devices both carry possible maximum sentences of 10 years. They also face another possible 20 years for the conviction of wire fraud. Each count of aggravated identity theft carries a mandatory two-year-term of imprisonment which ust be served consecutively to any other sentence imposed.
U.S. District Judge Vanessa Gilmore accepted the pleas and set sentencing for March 6, 2017. Emasealu will remain in custody while Prophet was permitted to remain on bond pending that hearing.

Nigeria’s Humanitarian Crisis ‘Can No Longer Be Ignored,’ UN Says, Launching $1 Billion Appeal

With the scale of human suffering in north-eastern Nigeria becoming clearer as the Government has pushed Boko Haram insurgent from more and more areas, the United Nations today launched a $1b funding appeal to address the needs of those in crisis, and announced that nearly 75 partner agencies are on standby to respond where areas are accessible.
as the 2017 Humanitarian Response Plan for Nigeria seeks more than $1b to assist those in crisis in the most affected states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa.
According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) throughout 2016, human suffering has become more apparent as the Nigerian Armed Forces pushed Boko Haram out of areas the group had held. The response area shifted from Abuja to Borno state, enabling easier access to the vulnerable population for the humanitarian teams, however, the conflict scaled up and so did the urgent need for more assistance.
As such, the 2017 Humanitarian Response Plan for Nigeria seeks more than $1b to address the needs of those in crisis in the three most affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe, about 6.9 million people.
‘This is the largest crisis on the African continent and I am confident that with the support of the international community and the private sector, we can begin to bring hope to the people of the north-east,’ stressed Peter Lundberg, the Deputy Humanitarian Coordinator, while also complimenting the Government of Nigeria and the initiative behind the Inter-Ministerial Task Force on their full cooperation to address the humanitarian situation.
While fear of unexploded improvised devices prevents farmers from planting for a third year in a row, nearly 5.1 million people are expected to face serious food shortages. The Humanitarian Response Plan will aim to tackle urgent nutrition, food, shelter, health, protection, education, and water and sanitation needs.
‘The narrative on this humanitarian crisis can no longer be ignored and we are appealing to the international community to help us prevent the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians over the coming 12 months,’ stated Mr. Lundberg.
‘The Government have already demonstrated and will continue to demonstrate strong commitment to working together with the international humanitarian community,’ said Zainab Ahmed, Minister of State, Ministry of Budget and National Planning of Nigeria.
I move on from the $1b appeal story to another loan matter.

SANUSI TO BUHARI: Forget it, no one will give you $30b loan
Ripples Nigeria

Emir of Kano and former governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, has advised President Muhammadu Buhari to forget the $30b foreign loan plan as no financial institution would grant him the request.
Sanusi argued that should the National Assembly approve the loan, that no foreign nation or financial institutions would be ready to release the money to him.
The former CBN Governor stated this on Friday in Abuja while delivering a paper entitled: “A plan to restore confidence, direction and growth”, during a policy dialogue put together by an economic think tank, Savannah Centre for Diplomacy, Democracy and Development.
According to Sanusi, for a nation that has five exchange rates, it would be difficult for such request to scale through.
He added that since Nigeria’s foreign exchange has no credibility, the Federal Government should hold on to private sector investments as a way to boost the economy out recession.

Boko Haram now moving base to Kano, Governor Ganduje cries to Buhari

Boko Haram now moving base to Kano, Governor Ganduje cries to Buhari
Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje has alerted President Muhammadu Buhari of the terrorists group, Boko Haram influx to his state.
Ganduje met with the President on Friday to brief him of the migrations of Boko Haram insurgents into Falgore forest in Kano.
The governor who disclosed this when questioned by State House correspondents after a closed door meeting with President Buhari in the Presidential Villa, Abuja said:
“I came to brief Mr President on the security situation in Kano especially on the fallout from the North Eastern part of this country in which some of the Boko Haram kidnappers will like to dominate Falgore where they will be operating to other parts of the North Western part of the country.

“So, the security agencies are working very hard and a lot of arrests have been made, investigation is going on. We will not allow them to dominate Kano and to make it as a launching pad.
”Certainly, we expect if they are dismantled from the North East part of this country they will find another location and Kano being an older city, is an attractive place for such elements to come in.”
Ganduje also revealed that security agencies have apprehended three persons suspected to be leaders of the criminal group.

Also from Kano, Punch reports the death of Ifedolapo Oldepo

Chilling details of Kano corps member’s last hours: Strange injection gave her rashes, twisted her tongue – Sisters

Details have emerged of the last hours of 26-year-old Ifedolapo Oladepo, a first class Transport Management graduate of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, who died at the National Youth Service Corps camp in Kano State on Tuesday.

A Facebook post by the deceased’s elder sister, Oyeyode Abimbola Inioluwa, gave an insight into a string of events which culminated in the death of Ifedolapo at the camp clinic, where she allegedly suffered neglect in the hands of medical officials.

According to Inioluwa, who is a nurse herself, having realised she was not being attended to because officials thought she was just pretending to be ill in order to avoid drills, Ifedolapo resorted to placing calls to her.

“You called me five hours to your death and told me to start coming as the NYSC doctors were not doing anything for you. They thought you were pretending, you did not want to go for parade so they did not attend to you. When you started calling people from home, they eventually gave you an injection,” Inioluwa wrote in her eulogy to her sister.

But apparently, things went downhill immediately after that injection.

“You called me again that you noticed a lot of rashes on your body, (you said) that I should speak with the doctor, who refused to talk to me. You called five minutes later and told me your tongue was twisting,” Inioluwa wrote.

It was learnt that when Ifedolapo’s situation seemed to deteriorate after an injection she was given, officials at the camp clinic sent out all her friends.

But Ifedolapo was said to have maintained contact with Inioluwa through the phone.

The deceased told her sister that she should help make an arrangement for a flight.

She said, “I called immediately(and) they told me Abuja flight is Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I told you to tell anybody in the clinic that I am a nurse (so) they should allow me to speak with them.

“A male nurse took phone from you and told me you are having an anaphylactic reaction and they would watch you for just one hour and transfer you to the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital but alas they did not transfer you until five hours later when they noticed you were restless and calling people at home.”

Inioluwa said she eventually went to the park along with Ifedolapo’s younger sister, and boarded a bus to Kano so they could go and pick her.

She said on their way, she placed a call to the clinic officials in the Kano camp to beg them to take her sister to the teaching hospital.

According to her, rather than take her to the teaching hospital, the deceased was taken to a general hospital at Gwazo, where she was offered no treatment.

By that time, Inioluwa said Ifedolapo’s phone had been taken away. They claimed she needed to rest.

The last she heard from the deceased was at 5pm as their journey to Kano took 16 hours.

At 3am, she received the heart-breaking call that her younger sister had passed on.

“Without any doctor in the hospital to assist you, the only nurse on duty told me she tried her best,her best of staying beside you when death was taking you away because there was nothing to use. From that 3am till I got to Kano, I was hoping it would only be a mix up somewhere. (But) I got to Kano and met you at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital Mortuary,” Inioluwa said.

In another Facebook post by Ifedolapo’s younger sister, Kemisola Oladepo, she gave an insight into the anguish of the family.

“Death, why did you come into my household and take my sister away? Ifedolapo, when death came knocking at your door, why did you open for him?” she wrote.

According to Kemisola, she was at home when she heard Ifedolapo had malaria and she placed a call to her. She said she prayed for her sister over the phone before she was informed by their elder sister that they needed to go to the hospital in Kano where she had been transferred to.

“My sister begged and begged the doctor on duty to refer you to the teaching hospital,but they kept saying you’re for the Federal Government so they’ll have to watch you first before you were referred. They gave you an unknown injection which immediately your body reacted to, they begged for you to be taken to the teaching hospital, the doctors turned off your phone and sent your friends out. You should have held on for us to get there maybe it would have been better. We never had the agreement that you’d leave so early, Ifedolapo.”

She described her elder sister as her best friend, one with whom she did everything.

But she placed the blame for the death of her sister squarely on the doorstop of the NYSC.

“I still didn’t believe it until NYSC brought your dead body down home. We didn’t even get to see your body in the khaki and you were buried in it. NYSC killed you with their negligence and stupid student doctor that knows nothing, who gave you the injection, saw how your body reacted to it and turned off your phones.”

The deceased was buried in Oshogbo on Thursday.

However, there is no official comment from the NYSC authorities over Ifedolapo’s death.

Another death of First Class graduate in Zamfara camp

Two days after Ifedolapo’s death, tragedy struck again at the Zamfara NYSC camp, where another First Class graduate of Petroleum Engineering from the University of Uyo, Ukeme Monday, fell ill and died.

One of his classmates, Patrick Immo, noted in a post on Facebook that the deceased was so brilliant that he won four awards at graduation.

But he said Monday was so devastated by his posting to Zamfara that he even considered redeployment.

His illness he has not been disclosed by NYSC authorities since his death on Thursday.

In a reaction, the NYSC Director of Press and Public Relations, Mrs. Abosede Aderibigbe, said the corps’ officials in Kano denied any neglect, saying that she was treated and put under observation after taking blood samples to investigate the real cause of the sickness.

She said, “It is unfortunate that this thing happened and we sympathise with the family of the deceased corps member. The story we were told was that she reported on camp on November 25 and that same day, she reported that she wasn’t feeling fine. She was treated and allowed to go. On November 28, she came back and complained that she was not getting better.

By the time it was discovered that they cannot handle her case, she was rushed to the hospital where she died. But the NYSC DG has sent the Director (Corps Welfare and Inspectorate) and two other staff to Kano to go and find out what happened because we have received the death certificate and the death certificate said she died of infection.”

There has been no comment on Monday’s death.

That was what was written in the death certificate. We really sympathise with the family and I am sure the DG will go and lay a condolence visit when we go to Osun State.

The NYSC has sent a powerful team to go and investigate and find out what really happened. It is then that the DG will make a statement. But the tram went yesterday and a I think that by tomorrow (today, Saturday), they should come back to give us a report. We’ve asked them to go to the Hospital, NYSC camp and ask everybody that is involved in this matter what really happened.

Let me stay with Punch for the next story

Lagos policeman in illegal raid lynched over death of okada rider

A raid on okada riders operating around Agege area of Lagos by policemen from the Elere Police Division turned bloody on Monday, November 28, 2016 leading to the lynching of a police sergeant by irate youths.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that the policeman, a Kogi State indigene popularly known as Sunday in the area, was beaten brutally and then stabbed a number of times before being left for dead at Ile-Epo Bus Stop, Oke Odo.

The raid, which motorists and okada riders around the bus stop, said was the policemen’s way of making money off them, turned awry when the policemen tried to seize the motorcycle of a yet-to-be-identified okada rider.

A resident, who pleaded anonymity, told our correspondent that on Monday evening, the policemen arrived the area in a commercial bus and cornered the okada rider, who quickly tried to flee to avoid losing his motorcycle.

The resident said, “As he tried to turn the other way, a tipper speeding along hit him. People rushed at him but when they picked him off the floor, he was unconscious and bleeding heavily. Nobody in this area knows the okada rider.

“Immediately he was hit, the policemen saw how bad it was and tried to run away. But this angered the youths. Some of them picked bottles and sticks and chased after the policemen. That officer (Sunday) was the only one they could catch up with. We got news later in the day that the okada rider did not survive.”

Saturday PUNCH learnt that the mob descended on Sergeant Sunday with sticks and broken bottles. He was brutally beaten, sustaining several stab wounds in the process.

His colleagues later came back for him after the area was deserted, it was learnt.

A policeman told our correspondent that Sergeant Sunday was rushed to a number of hospitals around Agege, which rejected him. But he was eventually taken to another hospital in Yaba, where he was pronounced dead.

However, since the incident, residents around Ile-Epo Bus Stop said policemen from the division have been arresting people in the area on a daily basis.

“Now, they come here and pick people off the street. Unfortunately, they are arresting people who know nothing about what happened. Yesterday, two of my friends were sitting in front of that shop, they just came here and said ‘Oya, enter the vehicle’. They have been in detention since then,” one resident told Saturday PUNCH.

The Nation reports the arrest of a policeman over 1.9 billion Naira fraud – The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested and detained a Commissioner of Police, Victor Onofiok, over alleged 1.9 billion Naira fraud.

The suspect, who was being detained at press time, was alleged to have favoured companies close to him in the award of contracts.

A top source in the anti-graft agency said: “A serving Commissioner of Police, Victor Onofiok, is being grilled by operatives of the EFCC over a 1.9 billion Naira fraud.

“Onofiok, who is the CP Works at the Force Headquarters, was detained on November 30 after he was released for interrogation by the police.

“The officer, who has been CP Works since 2014, is alleged to have awarded contracts worth more than 1.9 billion Naira to ‘companies’ in which he has interest.

“The companies include Dutse Allah Construction Ventures; Nne-Edak Technical Ventures; Puristic Adherent Company; Quality Watch Construction Company and Faksene International.

“These entities were found to be mere business names and not limited companies.”

As at press time, it was gathered that the EFCC was still trailing some likely accomplices of the suspect.

The source added: “So far, the CP is still in detention, but we cannot rule out likely accomplices. We are considering all clues.

“I can assure you that all those connected with the fraud will be brought to book.

“We have however intensified investigation.”

A police source said: “Based on a request to the IGP, Onofiok, who was elevated to the post of CP on January 23, 2014, was released to EFCC.

“We are awaiting the outcome of the police preliminary investigation before we can talk of the next disciplinary action against him.”
I go back to the Punch to take a story that caught my eye,

How sacking tsunami swept Auchi poly after Saturday PUNCH’s report on lecturers’ sex scandal

In an unprecedented reaction from the National Board for Technical Education, 12 lecturers of the Federal Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo State have been indicted and sacked after a Saturday PUNCH report exposed the sex-for-marks tradition at the institution.

Sixteen other lecturers were demoted.

The sack is coming after an April 9, 2016 Saturday PUNCH report, titled — “School where prostitutes assist male students to get marks”— showed how students of the institution went as far as hiring prostitutes to please their lecturers in exchange for higher scores.

Our correspondent, who was informed by some frustrated current and ex-students of the situation, had written the report detailing how female students of Auchi poly were mandated to sleep with their male lecturers before they could pass their courses.

But for the male students, because they are sexually unattractive to the lecturers, the only way to bail out was to hire prostitutes or beg their girlfriends to sleep with the concerned lecturers on their behalf in order to pass their courses.

The report also narrated how some of the lecturers preferred to accept cash — ranging from 10,000 Naira to 20,000 Naira per course — rather than sex, to award grades.

Our correspondent learnt that the Executive Secretary, NBTE, Dr. Masa’udu Adamu-Kazaure, swung into action soon after the report and constituted a fact-finding committee to investigate the claims.

By June 14, 2016, our correspondent learnt that the NBTE committee had concluded its investigations and found out that the sex-for-marks tradition had become entrenched in the institution, prompting the Federal Government to relieve the identified lecturers of their duties and demoted some others.

These disciplinary actions were announced on Thursday, December 1, 2016 by Adamu-Kazaure in Kaduna, the NBTE headquarters.

According to Adamu-Kazaure, five senior lecturers and seven other workers at the Auchi Polytechnic were sacked for offences bordering on sexual harassment and extortion of female students in the school.

Fifteen other lecturers and one instructor were also demoted in relation to the same offences.

Adamu-Kazaure said the decision was endorsed by the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu.

Commending Saturday PUNCH “for a job well done,” Adamu-Kazaure said, “When we saw the report, we promptly informed the Minister of Education, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Department of State Services and constituted a fact-finding committee with a view to getting to the root of the matter and proffering a lasting solution to the problem.

“Members of the committee included members of staff from the Federal Ministry of Education, the NBTE, the EFCC and the DSS.”

He said the report of the committee was submitted on June 14, 2016 at the 160th Regular Meeting of the NBTE where it was deliberated upon before being sent to the Minister of Education for approval.

The outcome of the committee’s report, he explained, was the dismissal and the termination of the appointments as well as other disciplinary actions taken against the culpable lecturers and workers of the institution.

He said, “The approval involved the dismissal from service of the polytechnic of two chief lecturers, two principal lecturers and one lecturer I.

“Also, four chief lecturers, one principal lecturer, one lecturer I, one lecturer II and one higher technician had their appointments terminated.

“The honourable minister also approved the demotion of one chief lecturer, four principal lecturers, three senior lecturers, three lecturer I, four lecturer II and one senior instructor.

“One chief lecturer, one principal lecturer I and one lecturer III were warned; while a chief lecturer and one senior technologist were advised on good conduct.

“Two senior lecturers were cautioned, an assistant lecturer is to be mentored; one National Diploma student is to be advised, while another student, Gideon Adaengel, is denied admission into the polytechnic.”

Meanwhile, Adamu-Kazaure thanked Saturday PUNCH for putting the board, committee and the management of the institution on their toes to perform their statutory function better.

“I will write a letter commending The PUNCH editor,” he added.

Moroccan King Leads 300-Member Delegation To Nigeria

President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday in Abuja met briefly with King Mohammed VI of Morocco, who arrived Abuja for a 3-day official visit to Nigeria.

The king, on arrival at the Presidential Villa at about 1.20p.m. inspected a guard of honour mounted by men of the Guards Brigade. The Guards Brigade also honoured the visiting King with 21-gun salute.

NAN reports that shortly after the inspection of the guard of honour, Mr. Buhari and Mohammed met behind closed doors, before leaving the Presidential Villa for National Mosque to perform the 2-raka’at Juma’at Prayer.

King Mohammed, who is leading a 300-man delegation, is visiting Nigeria for the first time since he ascended the throne in July 23, 1999.

The meeting between President Buhari and King Mohammed, which would continue after the Juma’at prayer, would focus on bilateral trade and economic relations.

Analysts say with the visit the diplomatic row between Nigeria and the Kingdom of Morocco which erupted over a purported phone conversation between former President Goodluck Jonathan and King Mohammed VI, may have been put to rest.

Premium Times: Buhari approves appointment of Supreme Court judges

President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday approved the appointment of two Supreme Court judges, Sidi Bage and Paul Gilinje.
The two new justices are expected to be sworn in on December 5 by the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen.
The appointment was based on a recommendation by the National Judicial Council, on October 6, shortly before the council forwarded the name of Mr. Onnoghen to Mr. Buhari for endorsement.
In a statement signed by the Acting Director of Information, NJC, Soji Oye, and made available to journalists on Friday, the council said Mr. Buhari had approved the appointments of the justices.
It added that their swearing-in ceremony would hold on December 5.
“President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, has approved the appointment of Honourable Justice Sidi Dauda Bage, and Honourable Justice Paul Adamu Galinje, as Justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council.
“The two Honourable Justices will be sworn-in by the Acting Honourable Chief Justice of Nigeria and Chairman of the National Judicial Council, Hon. Justice W. S. N. Onnoghen, CFR, on Monday 5th December, 2016 at 2.00 pm in the Supreme Court of Nigeria,” the statement said.

Why Merit Should Play Greater Role In Nigeria’s Reward System – Osinbajo

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, has identified the importance of merit in the nation’s reward system arguing that preferring a quota system ahead of merit could be detrimental to the progress of any society.

Why Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari, was flown abroad
Premium Times

The Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, Abba Kyari, was flown to the UK for medical attention on Wednesdays after he began to have breathing difficulties.
A source at the Presidential Villa told PREMIUM TIMES that Mr. Kyari was rushed to London on a British Airway flight on Wednesday morning.
The source said Mr. Kyari had been battling with diabetes and was recently in the UK to receive treatment.
“The Chief was almost unconscious when they took him to the UK, but he is doing very well now,” the source said.
News website, Sahara Reporters, earlier published a report saying Mr. Kyari’s condition worsened following the kidnap of a former minister, Bagudu Hirse, in front of the residence of Mamman Daura.
Mr. Kyari and a former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babagana Kingibe, were in Mr. Daura’s residence when the kidnap happened, PREMIUM TIMES learnt.
“The Chief was shocked after all the security details ran away leaving them to their fate.
“He drove away all the security men except the one who refused to run away and they drove back to Abuja in a very tight security,” he said.

He also said Mr. Kyari was badly shaken from the Kaduna experience.
“He has not been the same since he returned. In fact, he gave the policeman that stood by him a token of money as gratitude,” he said.
Mr. Hirse has since been released by his abductors.
The presidency has not released any statement on Mr. Kyari’s trip or illness.

From foreign news,

Obama considering post-presidential digital media career, sources say

President Barack Obama has been discussing a post-presidential career in digital media and is considering launching his own media company, according to multiple sources who spoke on background because they were not authorized to speak for the president.

Obama considers media to be a central focus of his next chapter, these sources say, though exactly what form that will take — a show streaming on Netflix, a web series on a comedy site or something else — remains unclear. Obama has gone so far as to discuss launching his own media company, according to one source with knowledge of the matter, although he has reportedly cooled on the idea of late.

When contacted for comment, White House communications director Jen Psaki told Mic in a statement, “While the president will remain actively engaged in inspiring young people and he is interested in the changing ways people consume information, he has no plans to get into the media business after he leaves office.”

According to another source, Obama met privately with Facebook CEO and co-founder Mark Zuckerberg in Lima, Peru, on the sidelines of the recent APEC summit to discuss the matter.

That it’s Obama who is mulling a media career marks an intriguing twist for an election year in which President-elect Donald Trump’s rumored television plans have become a subject of debate. Prior to Election Day, which nearly every pollster had Hillary Clinton winning, much speculation centered on Trump’s post-election plans. Reports suggested he would launch a “Trump TV” network of his own, either online or on cable. According to the Financial Times, Trump’s son-in-law, media baron Jared Kushner, had approached a media investor about possibly funding such a network. At the time, the Trump campaign denied that any such network was in the works (though Trump experimented with live Facebook video offerings in the campaign’s closing days).

Africa’s Richest King Visits Nigeria On Official Trip

King Mohammed VI of Morocco arrived in Abuja on Thursday for an official visit to Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country.

The billionaire Moroccan monarch was accompanied during his visit by his cousin, Prince Moulay Ismail, as well as a large entourage including Morocco’s Agriculture and Fisheries minister, billionaire Aziz Akhannouch. The trip is the third stage of a tour that has seen the King visit Ethiopia and Madagascar, as well various countries in East and Southern Africa.

Over the last few weeks, the King has been visiting various African countries in a bid to diversify its partnerships in Africa and to strengthen the model of South-South cooperation that Morocco has developed with its traditional partners in the continent.
King Mohammed VI’s visit to Nigeria aims to strengthen bilateral cooperation between the two countries, particularly in the sectors of agriculture and solar energy.
King Mohammed is Africa’s wealthiest monarch with a fortune Forbes estimates at $5.7b. He owns a 35% stake in Societe Nationale d’Investissement (SNI), a holding company that owns lucrative stakes in several publicly traded companies, including the country’s largest bank, Attijariwafa; mining company Managem Group; and sugar producer Cosumar.


These are just some of the news reports over the past 24 hours.

Stay with and you will get fresh news first. One page, 100 headlines, and a news monitor that shows you key events and happenings in Nigeria at a glance. Go to and you will know more than your colleagues in a jiffy. We will be coming by again with more headlines and news mashes, in the meantime, happy news reading.