In apparent response to President Muhammadu Buhari’s directives, Nigeria Army on Friday said it was ready to confront the issue of killer headsmen with the deployment of troops under the code name ‘Operation Accord’.
Buhari had on Thursday, in a largely belated response, paid condolences to the people of Southern Kaduna for wanton killing of its indegenes by people suspected to be Fulani herdsmen. In doing so, he also promised federal government’s immediate intervention via the deployment of troops.
Addressing media men on Friday in Warri, Delta State, the Director of Defense Information, Brig. Gen. Rabe Abubakar, said, “The issue of criminal herdsmen killings will be a thing of the past once the operation kicks off.
“We have over 13 operations that are going on in the country. We are moving up from the Northeast which we have just accomplished. The armed forces will not rest until we rescue all the captives (from Boko Haram).”
He denied insinuations that the Army had been overbearing in its operations saying, “The presence of soldiers is to achieve the mandate given to it by the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
“The insinuations are from those who see our presence as an impediment to their activities. We should not in any way condone any group that will cause problem economically or politically in this country.”
Nigerian Army’s intervention in the South-south (Operation Crocodile Tears), South-east (Operation Python Dance) have been criticized by analysts who find such tags confrontational, making them look like occupation armies.
The post Army targets killer herdsmen with ‘Operation Accord’ appeared first on Ripples.
Breaking’s V I V I D L Y
A cartoon From VANGUARD Newspaper