US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was removed from his post on Tuesday by President Donald Trump and replaced with Mike Pompeo, who is the Director of CIA.
Trump, who announce the sack via his Twitter handle, said Pompeo has the same thought process with him. Pompeo is expected to resume office on March 31, 2018.
Here are twelve things to know about Pompeo:
- Mike Pompeo is 54 years old.
- He is is a former soldier, businessman and conservative congressman.
- He was elected to the House of Representatives in 2010 as part of the Tea Party wave.
- His first major assignment if confirmed by the Senate will be to lead the delicate negotiations with North Korea.
- Pompeo graduated from both the United States Military Academy at West Point and Harvard.
- He served three terms as a representative for Kansas’s fourth district.
- He was an aggressive critic of US foreign policy under the Obama administration, particularly regarding the nuclear deal with Iran.
- Pompeo was a cavalry officer “patrolling the Iron Curtain before the fall of the Berlin Wall”.
- He then earned a degree from Harvard Law School before entering the private sector.
- He has cultivated ties with Charles and David Koch, the billionaire industrialists who are patrons of conservative causes. They invested in Thayer Aerospace, a company Pompeo started with friends from West Point in 1998.
- He ones turned to Koch Industries, the Wichita-based conglomerate which has holdings in oil and other sectors, to help bankroll his 2010 congressional race.
- Pompeo has hawkish views on a range of policy issues, including torture, surveillance and the National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden.
The post 12 Things You Don’t Know About New US Secretary, Mike Pompeo appeared first on Independent Newspapers Nigeria.
Go to News Source
Author: Sodiq Adekunle with Agency Report